Dyal Singh Public Library
  • About Us

<


The Dyal Singh Public Library was established in 1928 at Lahore initially, in pursuance of the ‘Will’ of
Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia (1848-1898) - a great philanthropist and social reformer of 19th century Punjab.

After partition of India, through the efforts of Dewan Anand Kumar who was amongst the early Vice Chancellors of Panjab
University, the Dyal Singh Public Library was established a fresh (1954) in the institutional area of Deen Dayal Upadhyay Marg,
New Delhi. It is run by Dyal Singh Library Trust Society. Presently, the library is spreading its gracious presence among the dehlites under the persuasive leadership of Dewan Gajendra Kumar (President, Dyal Singh Library Trust Society). People from every corner
of the city can easily approach the library as the area is well connected by all means of transport including Delhi Metro.

The library has collection of over 40,000 books of National and International repute mainly in English, Hindi, Urdu
and Punjabi. The main thrust subject areas are Literature, Social Sciences, History, International Relations, Management, Information
Technology and Philosophy including a wide spectrum of representative collection in other fields of knowledge. In addition,
library subscribes to over 100 magazines on different subjects and 23 national daily newspapers.

Library resources are open for consultation to the general public free of charge. However for borrowing facility
the reader has to pay Rs.500/ as refundable security deposit. One can borrow four books and four magazines
(except current magazines) for two weeks. Presently library is providing services to about 12000 valued members
with an average of over 100 daily users. It remains open six days a week from 9.30 AM to 5.30 PM except Sundays
and gazetted holidays.

In order to provide special services to the children a separate air-conditioned children section has been set up
with modern Audio - Video equipment. Special efforts are being done to develop this section.